26 January 2011

I ♥ Art: Baltimore


Etsy + the Baltimore Etsy Street Team (BEST) + the Maryland Institute College of Art’s Master of Professional Studies in the Business of Art & Design (NEW PROGRAM) 
= the I Heart Art: Baltimore collaboration.

A series of five free two-hour workshops hosted by MICA - each workshop emphasizing the important aspects of running a small business for creative professionals. Hey I said FREE!

The first workshop, Realities of Runny an Indie Biz, was Tuesday, January 25th (last night).  I had the opportunity of attending this workshop.  The workshop was lead by Greg Conderacci, who owns Good Ground Consulting.  He brings 40 years of marketing and communication experience as a Wall Street Journal reporter, head of marketing for major companies, a sales coach, and a business school faculty. 

Overall I can report that there was a pretty good crowd, parking was do-able, and the speaker was engaging and a bit animated. They even opened up the workshop to the first 100 Etsy members via webcast.  I enjoyed the workshop, some of the information presented I had been aware of. However, it was great being around creative folk and actually sitting in a classroom after 10 years – OUCH!  Unfortunately I was extremely tired from staying up late the past few 100 nights – not a good thing and certainly not the facilitator’s fault (hence it’s 3AM, Wednesday morning and I haven’t been asleep yet).  

I’ve signed up for four of the five workshops as I’ve deliberated on applying to MICA’s new program. I am hoping these workshops will give me a bit of insight to MICA and what it may have to offer (although I know it’s a great school). 

If you are in Maryland you should definitely check out some of the workshops along with MICA. I think this collaboration was a good move on BEST’s, Etsy and MICA part. Kudos to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment